It was getting close to kidlet pickup time at school today, so I was not overly surprised when my cell phone chirped that someone had sent me a text message. I figured it was a friend asking me to walk his daughter home from school today, but I was wrong.
"Y u didn't tell me u guys were having a baby. Congratulations!!!"
Uh, this was news to me. The baby ship has long since set sail away from my household. Not only did the ship set sail, but I'm pretty sure the wind had already gusted it out of sight down below the horizon. My "baby" will be turning five in just a couple of months, and that is absolutely fine with me.
After my heart rate slowed down again, I sent a texted reply stating that I really hoped the sender of that message had the wrong number because to the best of my knowledge, kidlet number four is not in the cards for this lifetime. After a minute or two, I received a reply that the person was trying to reach Damion, and if that was not who it was, to please disregard that last text message. I could tell how absolutely panicked that person was in thinking he or she had just dropped one heck of a bombshell on someone.
Please note that I have had my current cell phone number for almost a year now. In that time, I have received numerous phone calls and text messages for Damion. I am presuming he was the individual who had this number immediately before it was assigned to me. I suppose it is possible that his number is just slightly off from mine, but with the number of times I get contacted by people looking for him, I kind of doubt that possibility. At least all of those erroneous messages somewhat prepared me for the possibility that today's text message was sent in error.
So far, I know more about Damion's life than anyone should know about a stranger. I know that Damion was sending out his resume to a number of places. They have tried to reach him to set up interviews. I know he owes money on his former mobile account, because that company (that shall remain nameless until I can think of something polite to call its annoyingly clueless employees) occasionally pesters me to try and reach him. Combining those two things makes me feel depressed, because the poor guy could surely use those interviews to land a new job to make good on any and all delinquent accounts. This is even more depressing now that I know there is a Damion Jr. on the way.
Since, like I stated earlier, it has been almost a year since I was assigned this cell phone number, it is quite possible that Damion's life has turned around. I hope he has a good-paying job and is able to keep current on his bills. I hope his significant other has an easy pregnancy and delivers a healthy and happy Damion Jr. within just a few days of the baby's due date, whenever that might be. I suppose I should just give it a while longer and someone else will either call or text me with that information.
Congratulations, Damion. May your baby be blessed. Now please let all of your friends and family members know to not try and reach you here. God forbid my husband would have seen that text message and thought I was hiding one heck of a secret from him. Oy.
This is sooooo funny!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found it as amusing (if panic-inducing) as I did! :)
ReplyDelete