Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Who's Brave?

In celebration of all five of us being home from school and work today, Pig and I decided to take the kidlets to go see the movie Brave. Quite conveniently, said movie is playing at the movie theater just down the street from us. Huzzah for ease in movie-going!

Brave was the first movie we have attempted to see as a family in quite some time. Actually, I think the last one we tried to see all together in a theater was Toy Story 3. Rooster started sobbing about two minutes into the movie, and I took her home while the rest of the family stayed and finished the movie. I still haven't seen Toy Story 3 all the way through, despite us having it on DVD by this point in time. Oh, well. Maybe one of these years...

Anyway, the kidlets were thrilled to be going out to see a movie. Horse was ecstatic that she and Pig would be eating a pizza lunch there. (The rest of us, due to our dairy allergies and/or lactose intolerance, depending on the family member, ate lunch at home first.) I asked Pig if he could buy some water for the younger two kidlets, too. Properly supplied with food and/or drink, we awaited the start of the movie with great glee.

Shortly into the previews, Rooster proved that she still has not mastered the fine art of keeping her mouth shut during a movie. She talked. A lot. Even with me threatening to take her home immediately if she could not respect the rest of us enough to let us listen to what was going on onscreen. (I think she knew it was an empty threat. Harrumph.) I don't know what Pig said to her to get her quiet, but she finally settled down by the time the movie actually started.

Around the same time Rooster became absorbed in the screen was around the same time Pig Jr. discovered the fine art of how to drive Mommy crazy in a darkened room. It's quite simple, really. First, you get on and off of your seat a zillion times, making sure to properly put the seat up when standing up and pushing it down noisily when sitting. Then, you need to stomp in place several times in order to make your cool, new, light-up sneakers demonstrate their amazing capabilities. Eventually, you need to tell Mommy you need to sit on her lap, so as to better try and push the seats on both sides of her up and down with your feet. Finally, you need to stick your fingers into your plastic cup, play with the ice cubes, and then complain about being cold.

Truth be told, I was shocked that my son would play with ice cubes at all. He hates anything cold or wet, and ice cubes in a cup of water certainly fall into both categories! I'm assuming my surprise overrode my natural maternal instinct to scold him into sitting still and just watching the dang movie already.

Then came some scary parts. Brave has a number of not-human characters, specifically bears. Angry bears are scary things to kidlets. Heck, I wouldn't have wanted to run into one in real life either. So around the same time I had Pig Jr. on my lap getting scared by bears, I had to lean over, thwack Pig to get his attention (there were two seats in-between us and he did not hear my angry whisper), and tell him to hold Rooster, who was freaked out in the seat next to him. The irony of our kidlets being petrified during a movie called "Brave" was not lost on me.

All in all, I think our whole family mostly enjoyed the movie. My daughters were perplexed that I would like a movie simply because it's not a "girl meets boy, falls in love, and they are married by sunset" type of movie. Kudos to the filmmakers for finally realizing that a girl doesn't need a boy to be complete. That was truly a "Brave" move on their part.

No comments:

Post a Comment