I have a friend who will be moving her family over 1200 miles away in just a few weeks. Needless to say, she is insanely busy right about now, trying to finalize the sale on her house, packing everything, and also trying to take care of her two boys. I am also quite busy these days, between the three kidlets' schedules, painting, and other tasks for my own on-the-market house. It was looking less and less likely that she and I would ever be able to meet up for one last visit before her move. So when I logged into Facebook this morning, all bleary-eyed and glazed over while I waited for my brain to wake up, it took me a few minutes to realize she had posted about having a yard sale this morning. Suddenly, it dawned on my newly-wakened brain that I could crash her yard sale!
I tried to process reasons why this plan would work. It had rained earlier this morning, so it was still too wet for me to paint anything. Horse was the first kidlet who needed to be anywhere today, and her piano lesson did not actually start until around eleven. My friend would surely be at her house to work her own yard sale, so I shouldn't have to worry about her not being home with me just popping by for a quick visit. I should be able to drive there, say my good-byes, and still be home in time for piano. With my plan set, I felt amazingly awake and alert and set about making it happen.
Pig was supportive of my morning plans. I asked Pig Jr. if he wanted to come with me in order to make things easier for Pig at home with just the girls. Pig Jr. was thrilled at the prospect of going for a car ride with Mommy, so off we went.
Pig Jr. was fine in the car, until we approached the exit we normally take to go to his pediatrician. He balked at that point, crying out, "No doctor! No ouchies today!" I kept reassuring him that was true, that we weren't visiting his doctor, and that he would be okay. I don't think he fully trusted me at that point, but he calmed down a bit. He was relieved when we continued on our way after passing the exit in question, although he did continue to affirm that there was no way he was going to the doctor's office today.
Ten minutes and several hundred "No doctors!" later, we pulled onto my friend's street. I was eager to say a quick hi and good-bye, since I'm not really good at this sort of thing. I hoped she wouldn't be too overrun with customers to deal with my unexpected visit.
Pig Jr. and I got out of the car and walked up to my friend's house. I spotted her husband, and promptly asked him where my friend was. I almost felt bad for the poor guy. It was clear he couldn't quite figure out who the heck I was. Truth be told, I hadn't seen him for a number of years, so I'm not surprised he couldn't place me. I will admit it was slightly amusing to see him try and figure it out. ("This person here knew my name, could pick me out of a group of yard sale customers, knew my wife's name, acts as if I should recognize her...Dang it. Maybe she'll drop a clue as to who she is.") He informed me my friend was probably still sleeping, as she hates yard sales and wants nothing to do with them, but went in to check on her when I asked if she would forgive me for waking her up. Turns out, she had woken up on her own and was getting ready to come down anyway.
I'd like to think my friend was happy that I showed up. She certainly seemed pleased to see me. She kept telling me how great I looked, which makes me wonder if she's feeling delusional these days. (She, however, looked great. I have no idea how that woman manages to not age at all, but I swear she looked younger today than the last time I saw her, which was probably a handful of years ago. It's a good thing I'm friends with her or I would have to hate her for her aging abilities.) We had a lovely conversation, and I felt badly when it was finally time to go. Pig Jr. was busy trying to pull my arm off to go towards the car, and I did have to get back to take Horse to her lessons. I managed to say my good-byes, but was surprised at how difficult that was.
You see, I might not have seen my friend for a few years now, but I still consider her to be a good friend. She and I were both novice teachers together at the school at which we used to work. Together with a third friend, we would go out for dinner and drinks almost every week as a means of surviving that first tough year. We continued to meet up even after the third friend moved away. She was the person who popped in to check on my cats when Pig and I eloped in Vegas. (To this day, I wish she had been the friend we flew out with us to be our witness, but had doubted that our Superintendent would have given her the same days off from school to be there.) We handed maternity clothes back and forth each time we both swore we were done popping out the kidlets. We had numerous laughing phone conversations that were generally triggered by one of her sons picking up her cell phone and calling me without her knowledge. Before today, the last time I remember seeing her was when she came over to drop off tons of baby boy clothing for when I was pregnant with Pig Jr.. Once Pig Jr. was born, I had kidlets in school and therefore sick all the time. Her boys followed the same path shortly thereafter. We kept in touch through phone calls and Facebook, where it was physically impossible to exchange any germs or viruses that were wrecking havoc in our respective families.
Despite not having much real-life interaction these past few years, I still felt it was vital for me to crash her yard sale, give her one last hug, and wish her safe travels for her move. Part of me knows that I might not ever see her again. She will start a new life miles away from here. Yes, the virtual worlds and telephone conversations will still be there to help us keep in touch. However, it still doesn't beat being able to laugh until the tears start flowing when you're standing or sitting next to a friend who loves you for all your quirks.
You will be missed, my friend. Stay safe and please keep in touch. It's not likely that I will be able to crash your next yard sale as easily as I could today.
Your blog always makes me laugh, but today it made me cry... seeing you today was such a wonderful surprise, and it is funny how though I have not "seen" you in ages, it was as if we had just gone out for one of weekly drinks yesterday. It's true what they say, a real friend is one in which time apart just disappears when you finally manage to get together! You are an amazing person, and there are NO words for how much it meant that you came to see me today. Though we have not gotten together in ages, I will miss knowing that if I needed you I could call and count on you. Thank you for being wonderful you!
ReplyDelete