The house next door to some of my relatives is for sale. It's on a fairly large piece of property with a more than decently sized house, in my opinion quite underpriced, and is conveniently located directly next-door to free babysitting for us. It is also too much of a commute for Pig to even consider looking at it as an option for us to buy, even if all of us relatives could get along nicely living directly next to one another. Besides, our house has not yet sold and there is no way we could afford two mortgages simultaneously.
So why was it that when I heard that someone I knew in high school is trying to buy the house that I felt oddly misplaced?
Truly, I am happy for him and his wife. I think it is a great place for them to raise their child. I know they will have pretty calm next-door neighbors. The neighborhood is lovely, and located close to a reservoir that is well-maintained and open for people to walk or sit along. The streets are pretty wide and there are sidewalks throughout. I know the two of them are getting a really good price, although to be fair, I am not certain as to the condition of the inside of the house. Even if they have to gut it, though, it's still a good price. I am happy that someone I knew was able to find a house like that.
However, my first reaction upon hearing the news was, "Dang it. There goes my chance." This startled me, since we had no intention of even checking out the place online, let alone bidding on it or anything.
I suppose I am a bit jealous because I know we will most likely not be able to afford property that size in our neck of the woods. I am also feeling a bit depressed about the lack of interest in our house, and wondering if it is ever going to sell. Thankfully, we do not need to sell right away, but I miss having my homey touches, family portraits, and just my usual collection of odds and ends all around me. They've all been packed up and stored in the perhaps misguided idea of making the house appear larger than it actually is. I detest living like this. Yes, it is easier to keep clean. It also makes the soul yearn for those missing comforts of home. Our home has turned into a house, and I am desperately craving a home once more.
Somehow, at some point in time, this whole house thing will work out. We will eventually sell, or we will not. We will eventually find a new home, or we will not. There is nothing I can do, short of dropping our asking price below a level we are comfortable trying to sell at, to make our little rinky-dink, no curb appeal, old house sell any faster or generate any interest. Heck, our Realtor has told us there is almost no action at all in their company right now. Almost nobody is buying in our little town. That should make me feel better, and maybe it will tomorrow. For today, I am basking in my pity party over a house that I never intended on buying in the first place.
To my former high school friend and your wife, I wish you all the best of luck as you purchase the house next door to my relatives. Don't be surprised if I pop on over for a quick hello when we visit your soon-to-be neighbors.
No comments:
Post a Comment