It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it. In our family, Pig is the one to fill the role. He's the good cop to my bad cop. He's the "fun" one. He is the daredevil who flips the kidlets upside-down and dangles them from their ankles while they shriek with laughter and I panic. He is the only parent left who can still pick up all three of their rapidly-growing bodies.
Pig is the one who taught our daughters how to ride their bicycles without training wheels. Whether he knows it or not, he will likely be the one to teach them to drive eventually, too. He'll play tag with them, toss a ball to them, and encourage them when the only direction they can throw a ball is backwards over their heads. He allows them the freedom to climb, flip themselves all over the place, and tackle one another without having to hear dire warnings about breaking limbs and cracking open skulls. He is really good at teaching them how to do all of the physical stuff that their mother (cranky ole me) would much rather avoid.
Pig plays games with the kidlets. Board games, card games, pretend games, it doesn't really matter. He teaches them how to be competitive while still playing fairly and without being a sore loser. He encourages house rules that make a more level playing field for even the youngest participant.
Daddies and their daughters have a special bond. As babies, they are the first humans to be able to completely manipulate him. I can still remember how Horse had Pig completely trained when she was only about three months old. If Mommy put Horse down for bed, she would fuss for a moment and then go to sleep. If Daddy put her down for bed, she would scream bloody murder so he would scoop her up, sing to her, and dance around with her in order to soothe his little girl. Daddy does not want his baby girl to be hurt or upset for any reason, and woe to the individual who causes her pain! Daddies do not always want to acknowledge their daughters must eventually grow up into women, and it is a bittersweet moment when they realize their baby girl has transformed into a beautiful adult who is fully capable of making decisions without their input. (I'm fairly certain Pig will be more inconsolable than I will be when our eldest goes off to college in another eight years, and forget about when either of the girls gets married!)
Daddies and their sons also have a special bond, although it is different than with Daddy's girls. Daddies see themselves in their sons, and do their best to raise their boy up to be the man they always wished they could be. They teach their sons to respect others in a different way than when Mommy says to say "please" and "thank you." They know the alpha male role will not always be theirs, but put their sons on the best possible path for when their boys must strike out on their own. I love watching Pig and Pig Jr. together. Despite my wanting to keep my little boy young forever, my husband is helping him to grow, and that's how it should be.
Pig is the one who encourages me when I am frustrated with my shortcomings as a mother. He appreciates everything I do as a stay-at-home mom, and never once accused me of sitting around, eating bon-bons, putting my feet up, and watching the soaps. In fact, if I am overwhelmed or not feeling well, he will send me off to bed and do what he can to have the household run smoothly while I recuperate. I am truly blessed to have such a loving and supportive husband.
Pig does not see how wonderful a job he is doing as the father to three beautiful (if I do say so myself) kidlets. However, I do. I see how loving, caring, supportive, and involved he is in their lives. Whether my kidlets realize it or not, they are truly lucky to have Pig for their father. He is absolutely the best man for the job.
No comments:
Post a Comment