Today started out as a fairly typical Saturday in the Brawn household. We all got up, dressed, and got ready to greet the day pretty much the same way we do every weekend. (Grudgingly on the adults' behalf, and eagerly on the kidlets'.) Horse had her piano lesson right before lunch, and we arrived there the same time as we usually do. All went well, up until the completion of the lesson.
Mrs. DePiano opened up the partition that separates the person having a lesson from those in the waiting area. She looked me up and down and told me she thought I looked fantastic. Well, shucks. Thanks, Mrs. DePiano! Normally, I wear jeans and a tee shirt, but I had on a long summer dress in the hopes of staying cooler in the mid-nineties weather that has descended upon our neck of the woods. I am not a dress person by any stretch of the imagination, but I decided to make an exception this year so as to not torture people by having to look at my legs in shorts. Maxi dresses are back in, so I can stay cooler without any exposed skin on the lower half of my anatomy.
Mrs. DePiano: "Wow, you look great! Those dresses are wonderful!"
Me: "Thanks! Yeah, they are keeping me cooler than jeans would."
Mrs. DePiano: "Where did you buy that?"
Me: "Oh, at [insert store name here]."
Mrs. DePiano: "Oh, I am going to have to go there then. I love dresses like that. I'll have to buy some!"
That conversation should have been flattering, no? Well, it would have if the person admiring my outfit was one of my peers. Mrs. DePiano, while an absolutely lovely lady who I think is a fantastic person and a remarkable piano teacher, is probably old enough to be my grandmother. It honestly freaked me out a bit. I do not usually assume that different generations would ever want to dress like each other. So either Mrs. DePiano wants to dress like someone far below her age range or I'm dressing far above mine.
I'm now seriously debating wearing my jeans and tee shirts for the rest of the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment