Monday, June 18, 2012

Update on the crossing guard situation...

Way back when, shortly after one of our district's crossing guards got hit by a car and had to take time off to recover from her injuries, a new crossing guard took her place. He did not take too kindly to me crossing my kidlets when he did not see us there, and there were a couple of pretty messed up days when he either ignored us completely or spoke irately to me. I wound up complaining twice about his behavior to another trusted crossing guard who relayed the information to their boss. Cranky guy was supposedly reprimanded, and I had been quite nervous about having to deal with him on a daily basis while knowing he was miffed at me.

It turns out, he has been an absolute peach ever since. He has been polite, cheerful, and always willing to engage in friendly conversation. He has done his job consistently well, and I have not had one single negative thing to say about his work since then. I was absolutely astounded at his complete turnaround. I guess it just goes to show that having a bad day or two does not guarantee a miserable few months. I wanted to be fair to him here in my blog. Even though I doubt very highly that he would stumble upon my writing accidentally, I needed to follow up on what I had written earlier. He has been a very different person than he had been on those two days when he had done everything in his power to express his disapproval of my actions.

As far as the injured crossing guard is concerned, she recently returned to work at the same intersection where she lost her battle with a distracted driver. When asked, she said she was not feeling one hundred percent better yet, but she was greatly improved from where she had been physically. She still walks a bit slowly, but she looks a heck of a lot better than the last time I had seen her. I am not sure whether she is just finishing up the school year or returning to her post again in September, but I am glad she was able to get back on the proverbial horse.

And as a reminder to others who see crossing guards on a daily basis, I suggest you remember them with a little something at the end of this school year, even if it's just a hand-written thank-you card, for their work in making sure kidlets get to and from school safely every day. We do not have bus drivers in our tiny school district, but the same should apply to those whose kidlets get bussed. These people do their jobs in all sorts of inclement weather while dealing with all sorts of horrible drivers and situations around their appointed routes or posts. And yes, even the cranky ones should get thanked. They might actually just be surly because they are concerned for your little ones' safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment