Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Bossy Crossing Guard, Round Two

For five years now, I have walked my children to school in our town. We interact with five different crossing guard locations, several of which have had multiple crossing guards working there throughout those five years. Up until yesterday, I never had an issue with a crossing guard not doing his or her job properly.

Yesterday, Mr. Bossypants, who is a new hire for the most dangerous intersection we must cross on the way to school, scolded me for walking my children across the street in the crosswalk and while we had the walk signal. The reality was that he had wanted to us to wait for him, even though he had decided he was going to wait until the next time the walk signal came our way. I complained to another crossing guard and Mr. Bossypants was scolded for treating a parent as if she was too stupid to cross the road. Heck, if a chicken can do it, right?

This morning, I was leery when approaching that intersection. Mr. Bossypants was talking with, presumably, a friend of his as we came up to the light. He did not budge, even though he did look in our direction. I again walked my children across the street without his help. While waiting for the light to change, I sent my oldest to press the button for the walk signal. When the opposing light turned yellow, I turned around and asked Mr. Bossypants if he was going to do his job and cross us, or if I should do it. His response was, "I was informed by my supervisor yesterday that if a parent is there, I do not have to do anything..."

I cut him off by turning around with a "whatever" or "fine" or whatever inane comment I made. I assure you it was G-rated, although it let him know he was dismissed from talking with me. Then I walked my children safely across the street while he resumed his conversation with his buddy. The very next crossing guard I saw, who had expressed concern yesterday when I had told her what had happened, was promptly filled in on the situation and she stated she would report him today. There is no excuse for someone who is being paid to get people safely across the street to not do that job. He does not have to like me. In fact, let's just save time and assume he hates my guts. But he is being paid to be there, so he should do what he is being paid to do.

This means war. I might have to bring a videocamera next time. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment