Monday, February 13, 2012

Reality Check, Please!

Today was one of those mornings where I managed to get myself up and functioning early enough to throw on a load of laundry before I even woke the kidlets up at half past six. I felt relieved that I was able to start the laundry so early because I had a bunch of errands planned for after I dropped the kidlets off at school, and wasn't sure when I would be home again to continue with it. Huzzah for getting all my ducks lined up in a row!

Did I mention ducks? It was more like counting chickens before they were hatched. Horse woke up with a nasty cold. Her nose was like a leaky faucet that just could not stop running. Her eyes looked miserable, with the glassy look to them and huge circles underneath. When she started coughing, she found it difficult to stop, and the coughing hurt her throat. Okay, she stayed home today, and I crossed my errands off my list of things to accomplish. I seriously hope I have enough food in the house to get us through dinner.

Next, I went in to wake up Pig Jr. He, too, was congested, but that was not the biggest problem there. His soaking wet sheets were. Remember how I had just started a load of laundry? Suddenly, I found myself up to my eyeballs in more laundry that absolutely had to be cleaned that also had to wait for the first round of wash to be completed. Not only that, but Pig Jr. required a shower immediately. Thankfully, the hot water lasted long enough to get him washed and dressed in dry clothing. An unexpected bonus was that it helped clear up some of his congestion, although he needed help to blow his nose properly.

By the time I headed out the door to get two of the kidlets off to school, I had been clenching my jaw hard enough that my teeth hurt like the dickens.

After the morning drop-off routine, I figured I would use my unexpected time at home to not only wash a bunch of sheets I wasn't planning on cleaning, but also to make up a cake as a Valentine's Day surprise for my family for the Hallmark holiday tomorrow. The first layer promptly broke in half and crumbled to bits when I attempted to remove it from the pan. Lovely. I decided to keep the second layer in the pan and just frost it in there lest it decide to imitate its partner.

I then called a bunch of doctors and dentists to schedule all of the appointments that are overdue for each of my family members. The scariest was the orthodontist for Horse. She gets to go in for an evaluation, which is "free," but it will cost us $350 just to sit down to determine what she needs and to sign up for a payment plan. My delusions of spending our tax refund money on anything other than braces suddenly went the way of the dodo bird.

And speaking of tax refunds, I still have to finish sorting through our receipts to get ready to have our taxes done. I sense more jaw-clenching in my immediate future.

I think I'm done with today already, and it's just a little past noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment