Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rooster's Trip to the Aquarium

Rooster has been very excited for a few weeks now. Her first grade class trip to an aquarium was today, and I think she doubted she could survive another day without witnessing all of the wonders being described by her teacher. Thankfully, she was put out of her misery when the buses departed from the school early this morning.

When I picked Rooster up from school this afternoon, she was exhausted, but thrilled, and wanted to tell me all about her class trip. "First, we got on the bus. Then, we put on our seatbelts... Then my friend fell asleep next to me. She was tired!...Finally, the bus stopped and we were there!" Just describing getting from school to the aquarium took quite a lot of time. Clearly, details were very important to my six-year-old!

Did I say details were important? I was misled by a kidlet who apparently felt the bus ride was more memorable than the actual aquarium.

     Rooster: "We saw a seal! I think it was a seal. It had red eyes and was blind. What was its name?"
     Me: "I don't know, honey. I wasn't there."
     Rooster: "But then I got to feel a real sea star!"
     Me: "Wow! What did that feel like?"
     Rooster: "Um, brown. And the pufferfish was this big!" [holding up her hands]
     Me: "Did you get to feel the pufferfish, too?"
     Rooster: "I just told you. It was this [exaggerated hand gesture] big! And then we had lunch!"

Since she was in a group with her teacher, I wonder how exhausted her teacher is right about now. If Rooster could not come up with answers even remotely related to the questions I asked, I shudder to think how off-topic she was all day long. Let me correct that statement. Rooster was unable to answer questions directly related to her time at the actual aquarium. The bus rides, lunch, brief visit to the beach, and every bathroom visit all warranted her undivided attention and were discussed with me in great detail. The aquarium was relegated to the bottom of her memory reserves, which were quickly depleted.

At least she was thrilled to have gone on a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment