Sunday, April 15, 2012

Air Conditioners in April

I admit it. I am not a fan of the heat. I'm not too fond of the cold either, but at least I can put on more layers. And let's just say I'm not amused with the allergies that go hand-in-hand with the nice spring temperatures that actually fall precisely in my happy zone. That's almost irrelevant when you consider that we are supposed to hit eighty-eight degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow. I think we skipped spring and went directly to summer. I'm presuming this means we will wind up getting snow in June just to balance things out a bit.

Since three of our family members are currently congested and sneezing (thank you, allergies) and a fourth is pretty heavily medicated to keep from doing the same, that means only one person in our family of five would be able to have the windows open to enjoy any semblance of spring weather. Well, technically she has non-allergic rhinitis, so all that junk in the air would eventually bother her, too, although not to the same extent as the rest of us. Needless to say the prospect of an almost-ninety degree day with the windows closed was not appealing to me in the least.

My husband, being the smart man that he is, agreed to clean out and install our window air conditioner units today. I followed behind him and used duct tape around the edges of the units to try and prevent creepy crawlies (or worse, things with stingers) from deciding they want to share our nice, cool air, too. Then, me being me, I decided we should turn them all on to see if they actually work. Why not? The house was already seventy-eight degrees by that point in time.

So here I am, in April, lounging in the air conditioning in a state that typically has me begging for those window units to be installed somewhere around the end of May. I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the Apocalypse.

The good news is that all units seem to work, and we have single-handedly guaranteed a cold snap in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment