Friday, April 27, 2012

"It's too old."

When Pig Jr. was three, he went for an evaluation with a neurodevelopmental pediatrician, where he was diagnosed and told he should receive OT and speech through our school district's special education department. That specialist sent me in to his preschool with nothing more than a prescription blank filled out with "PDD-NOS" and "needs OT and speech." It took them almost two years to finally send us the report, which also stated that he should be under close developmental monitoring. Great. There's nothing quite like knowing your kidlet should have been monitored for almost two years when he wasn't.

Well, as soon as we read that part of the report, we looked for a new neurodevelopmental pediatrician, preferably one who would send us copies of reports in a timely manner. The first appointment we could get is currently scheduled for August of this year. These specialists are typically booked months, if not years, in advance, so this did not come as a surprise.

The school took the prescription blank from me, but never told me it was worthless. I did not hear that until this year, when they stated they could not use it as a basis for providing services. They needed the report. They also told me I could sign a waiver and the school could get a copy of the report directly from the doctor. Why was this not mentioned almost two years ago when I was repeatedly talking to the doctor and attempting to have them send me the reports? I cannot physically force a doctor's office to send me the promised materials, and I had no idea the school could wield any power to get copies on my behalf. Instead, I did the best I could and gave the school a copy as soon as I had one physically in my possession. Now the school is saying they cannot use the report because it is "too old."

By the time my son has his next evaluation by a neurodevelopmentalist, it will almost be time for school to start and he will have already been placed wherever he is going to be next year. Any reports that are created after that appointment will not get to us before the start of the school year. This means that once again, he will not receive the services he needs. Because the old report cannot be used, whoever his teacher is for next year will be completely unprepared for my son and his issues. It will be too late for his new reports to be used in his placement for next year, and I will have to read up on what the law says in terms of applying them after his school's evaluation this year is complete. I already know that certain individuals in his school's special services department do their best to feign ignorance of the law unless parents fight. I need to prepare for a long, drawn-out battle over my son and his rights.

To say I am angry, upset, and overwhelmed is an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment