A number of weeks ago, Horse started getting ready for her science fair. She decided she would mummify several hot dogs in the manner described here: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/HumBio_p022.shtml (Sorry, but I'm really bad at making links look pretty.) To summarize what Horse did, she took a bunch of measurements and observations on a hot dog, buried it in a sealed container along with approximately seventeen zillion tons of baking soda, and then waited a week. Upon digging out the no-longer-safe-to-eat hot dog, she took more measurements and observations, then buried it once more in (completely fresh) baking soda. She lathered, rinsed, and repeated,or something to that effect, until no more changes in size and weight were noticed.
After collecting three very dessicated hot dogs, Horse set about creating a poster with a bunch of photos, courtesy of her father who took pictures of everything our daughter did, and some graphs, again courtesy of her father who was enough of a masochist to try to teach Horse how to use Excel.
It was a great project on which Horse and Pig could collaborate, especially since Horse could do the majority of the work and simply rely on her father to help pull it all together. Well, sort of pull it all together. That's where I came into this picture.
All those hours of playing Tetris as a child finally paid off big time. I took a look at what Horse had and helped her come up with a layout that held everything she wanted to show. I even remembered to purchase some double-sided tape to attach her pictures to this giant foam display board, also purchased by me. You can tell I had the hard job here, no?
After all of the hours spent working on that giant display, Horse stuck the last printed label into place and declared it complete. Then she decided to take my somewhat flippant suggestion about making an empty paper towel roll look like a hot dog that had actual mummy wrappings put on it. She even drew a scary face peeking out from between the wrappings. It looked pretty darn cool. I did draw the line when she requested making zombie arms sticking out in front from her paper towel roll mummified fake hot dog. She asked why, so I told her hot dogs don't have arms. I was grateful she accepted that answer, since she could have easily countered that they don't have faces either and we were strictly going for effect here. Shh. Don't tell. This way, I can say that Horse's mummification project is finally complete.
No comments:
Post a Comment