Today was notable strictly because my family and I spent so much of it not at home. Rooster had a doctor's appointment early this afternoon, and that meant planning on an hour-and-a-half for each leg of the journey there and back, plus whatever time we actually spent in the actual doctor's office. Yippee skippee. Gotta love having to spend a minimum of three hours out of the house while keeping three kidlets safe and amused.
The car ride down was relatively uneventful, and also much faster than expected. We have to allow an hour-and-a-half for the trip in case traffic decides to misbehave (which it has in the past), although the traffic-free trip today was accomplished in a mere forty-five minutes. The end result of arriving at the office quite early was that the kidlets had to be entertained for a much longer time than expected. Thankfully, we had planned ahead and allowed them to bring their electronic gadgets of choice to use once they were finally ensconced in the waiting room.
Being a planner by nature, I had requested the very first appointment available after lunch. In theory, this should minimize the wait time since nobody would be going before us. Did you notice the words, "in theory"? If you didn't, you should have, because this theory was clearly proven incorrect when multiple people saw the doctor before we did. Granted, this was a spontaneous decision by the allergist herself (she saw them entering a room as she was walking down the hallway and decided to take them right away over the nurse's objections), but it still rubbed me the wrong way. By the time the allergist finally came to check out Rooster, we had been waiting for over an hour. I was decidedly unamused.
After Rooster's appointment, we still had another hour or more of driving ahead of us before we arrived at home. The kidlets were vociferously declaring their demands for a snack, since the only thing they had ingested over the preceding four hours was two bottles of water apiece, one while driving south, the other for the northbound return home.
This was when I had my eureka moment.
I, too, had only consumed water while going to today's appointment. I had not eaten anything since my early lunch, which was even before the kidlets had theirs. Huzzah! This means I actually stuck to a diet of sorts for at least half the day today! I might have been stuck in either a car or waiting room for far too many hours, but at least I can honestly claim to have avoided all the junk food snacks that typically lure me in to my own detriment. That thought alone was enough to make me feel downright svelte.
I should thank Rooster's allergist for taking her stinkin' sweet time in getting around to seeing us today.
No comments:
Post a Comment