Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Meanie and his Mommy

Last year in kindergarten, Rooster was in the same class as a boy who I will call Meanie. If you have any doubts as to why I am referring to him that way, you clearly did not ever see her in tears over the things that boy said and did to her. Rooster is far more forgiving than her mother is, for despite being forced into a class with him again this school year, she now considers him to be a friend.

A few weeks ago, Meanie and his Mommy were walking home from school just ahead of us. Meanie informed Rooster that she had to go to his house for a playdate. Over my dead body, Meanie. I just smiled and told Meanie that his Mommy and I would have to talk about a good time to get together, but unfortunately it could not be the date and time he demanded my daughter's presence. The good news there is that I do not often see Meanie's Mommy and could therefore avoid ever having to arrange the playdate from the pits of Hades.

It was actually not until today that I finally saw Meanie's Mommy again. I was sitting in the elementary school's vestibule, desperately trying to avoid the allergens that are wrecking havoc on my immune system at the moment, and reading a few books to Pig Jr. in the time between picking him up from school and when Rooster was due to be released. Pig Jr. and I had been reading quietly for twenty minutes or so when Meanie's Mommy entered the vestibule while blaring music. The offending noise was actually her ringtone for her cell phone, and as she answered her call, I gathered our peace and quiet was to be no more.

Meanie's Mommy proceeded to have a very long, loud, and rapid conversation in Spanish with the person who had called her, who also spoke very loud, rapid Spanish from his end. That rude woman had the audacity to put him on speakerphone, too.

Me being me, I tolerated this for approximately thirty seconds. When it became clear that loutish woman was going to continue her conversation emphatically enough for me to not even be able to hear a single word I was reading to my son, I stood up. Glaring at her, I announced to Pig Jr. (shouted, technically) that we would have to finish our book outside because I could not hear anything I was reading due to the inconsiderateness of others foolish enough to think the whole world wanted to hear their phone call. Then I stormed outside the building, back into the tree pollens once more. I was livid, but am happy to report that Meanie's Mommy just sat there, silent for a moment with her jaw needing to be scraped off the floor after my little outburst.

I am no longer wondering why Meanie is such a rude, spoiled little brat. He must take after his mother.

Good thing I'm such a model of kindness and self-restraint for my own son. (And yes, I am aware of the sarcasm dripping off those words. Meanie's Mommy should actually be grateful I did not say or do anything much worse. She can thank my son and his presence for that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment