Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Horse is a Horse...

My girls got to meet horses today. We had gone to visit my family to celebrate Thanksgiving, and my mother had arranged for this special treat courtesy of their neighbor who works with said horses. The ironic part of the deal was that this was arranged so that Rooster could have a chance to see the horses since she had been unable to do so at one point where she had longed to do so in the past, and Rooster put up a bit of a stink about having to go. I finally convinced her to take the ride in the car and told her she could just hang out in the car once we arrived at the stable. She needed no persuasion to leap from the vehicle once we got there. I'm impressed she even let me park the car first before diving out the door.

Naturally, my sensory kidlet's first comment was about how badly the place stunk. Welcome to the farm, kiddo. She immediately lost interest in the smell as she discovered the joys of horse poop. Sadly, this enthralled her.

Rooster and Horse (my daughter, not the large animals) proceeded to meet and greet as many horses as possible at this location. The neighbor who was giving them the tour said there were either twenty-nine or thirty horses there, so this meant a lot of patting equine noses and almost getting bowled over by swinging horsey heads. Rooster, in particular, seemed to excel at standing immediately beneath any given horse's head and getting herself trapped by the much-larger animal. The one free-wandering horse was of particular interest to her, as she managed to try and put herself directly in his path a number of times. I had this image of my daughter getting trampled by a slow-moving beast. I wondered how I would explain to the ER that pulling my child backwards to get out of the way of hooves did not work when she so actively attempted to put herself under them. Thankfully, we remained untrampled during our excursion.

My baby niece was also able to meet the horses with us today. I am able to report that she seemed unfazed by the giant creatures who tried to taste her tiny hand. We presume this means the horses could smell whatever pureed foods she had ingested and thought they were yummy. My niece did excitedly kick her legs when held up closer to one of the horses, which was cute. We made sure she did not hurt the horse with her excited foot pumping. I'm not entirely sure how a horse would react to getting kicked in the head by a infant size three shoe, but I am glad we did not have to find out!

All three female kidlets seemed to enjoy themselves. After hanging out and watching the horses for a few minutes without sneezing, I risked petting those beautiful creatures myself. I might be allergic to cats and dogs, but I think I might be safe with horses. Think my long-suffering husband would agree to one of those as a pet? (He just twitched as I read him this. I'll take that as a 'no.')

No comments:

Post a Comment