I am sure that by now, you have heard zillions of people describing all of the things for which they are thankful: family, friends, health, jobs, etc. I figure we can just skip all of the usual smarmy stuff because, quite frankly, I presume you've heard it all already. Yes, it's all true. But you've also heard it from everyone you've spoken with today and for the last few days.
So here is my less-than smarmy list of things for which I am thankful today:
11. It is not a school day and the kidlets could therefore, in theory, sleep late. In reality, they played quietly in their rooms before demanding food and attention. Either way works for their overtired parents.
10. Today's newspaper actually had all of the desired Black Friday ads included. In years past, we have had to go purchase additional papers because the one stinkin' ad we needed for the top store on our Black Friday list had been missing. The fact that the paper was delivered late is a small matter of inconvenience compared to trying to flip through newspapers in the local convenience store while searching for the one newspaper that has not been mispacked.
9. The potatoes that had been purchased two weeks ago still had a few non-rotten ones left in the bag. This is a huge deal when trying to make the typical Thanksgiving dinner and the first few potatoes that are cut up have to be thrown out upon discovering the gaping black holes in their centers.
8. I actually remembered to defrost the free frozen turkey breast that we qualified for at our grocery store. This is probably the first year I have not put a still-encased-in-ice turkey or turkey part in the oven and prayed that it would not only thaw out, but that it would also cook in time for supper.
7. My eldest is on antibiotics and should, in theory, not be contagious when we gather to celebrate Thanksgiving with my side of the family this weekend. This is, of course, assuming the rest of us are not secretly harboring strep throat without displaying symptoms yet.
6. Television is enough of a novelty that the kidlets enjoyed watching not only the parade, but the zillions of ads they were exposed to in that three hour window of time. Good thing they already mailed their letters to Santa, eh?
5. Today will be the last day I have to display hand turkeys created by everyone else in my household, including my husband. The hand turkey novelty wore off a few days ago, when I realized the front of my refrigerator looked like a poultry farm. Gobble gobble.
4. My oven did not have to be lit with a match this year. Back when we had our circa 1958 gas wall oven, I was always afraid the dang thing would explode on me when I had to light it. It's temperature gauge was a bit faulty, too. It claimed anywhere from 200 to 400 degrees as being what was meant by 325 degrees Fahrenheit, and it never chose the same temperature twice. It was like playing Russian Roulette with salmonella poisoning.
3. My kidlets are young enough to still enjoy spending a day home with Mom and Dad. Give it a few years, and I am sure I will have to bribe them to show their faces at the table on days off from school.
2. I remembered to throw on some laundry today so I will not have to go Black Friday shopping in my pajamas. This is a very real threat when I am down to my last pair of jeans, and I am not always thinking clearly enough to grab yesterday's pants in the pre-dawn hours when I leave the house to hit the stores. Ratty old PJ's are not nearly warm enough to wait in a line outside a store in the wee hours of the morning.
1. My husband played with the kidlets and let me take a nap this afternoon. As far as I am concerned, any day that involves Mommy getting to zonk out on the couch for a few hours is a good day!
So there you have it. This, plus all of the smarmy stuff, makes for a very thankful day. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment