Me and my bright ideas. More specifically, Pig and his bright ideas. I had gotten the idea that Rooster would be getting Barbie items for Christmas this year. To be fair, the reason this idea popped into my head might have had something to do with the fact that her letter to Santa included pretty much everything Barbie-related. I might be a slow learner, but after about the twentieth Barbie request, I had pretty much clued in to her desire for more anatomically-incorrect dolls.
Horse owns one of the small Barbie houses. It's some sort of fold up vacation home, and the two girls both love it. Rooster loves it so much that she included it on her list to Santa. I figured a small house might be a good thing for her to have, too. This is where Pig comes into our story. He decided he did not want the girls to have the same exact house, so he suggested I purchase the world's most gigantic Barbie house ever. Okay, fine. That wasn't exactly how he worded it. That is, however, a fairly accurate description of what happened as a result of our little Barbie-themed chat. Three Barbie-sized stories makes for a pretty darn big house, and boy was I surprised at its size when I pulled it out of its box to assemble.
Well, I am quite glad I decided to set it up far in advance of Christmas. I erroneously thought it would be mostly assembled in the box and would require the application of a few stickers or something equally simple. Instead, I was lining up columns to make sure each floor was sturdy, applying various stickers in places I never would have even considered (such as Barbie's laptop screen), and confusing myself about where a tiny knob had fallen off and needed to be repositioned, among other things. Even after working for an hour on that house, it is still nowhere near move-in condition. Poor Barbie would be quite unhappy with how her house looks. Then again, since Barbie is currently residing in a shoebox, she might just be thrilled to have some space for a change.
The sad thing here is that after all of this assembly work, I have this really strong desire to play with Barbies now. I suppose that since no dolls are included, I really should wait until Christmas to ask my daughter if I can join her in breaking in her new toys. I wonder if Santa ever has this problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment