It has been a very long day for the kidlets. Their grandparents came to visit them for the first time in a number of months, and they crammed as much playtime as they could into today. Needless to say, by the time they all tromped inside after running amok in the backyard, pretty much everyone was exhausted.
The kidlets were herded into their usual shower queue. After his shower, Pig Jr. was instructed to clean up the mess he made in his bedroom. As per usual, he plunked himself down and played more than he cleaned. Since I knew he was tired, I did not make that big a deal out of him cleaning up before dinner. I simply figured I would help him after dinner ended. Sure enough, after Pig Jr. was done rejecting his vegetables, I sent him to use the bathroom while I started straightening the mess of Lego bricks, fake foods, and other random toys that were strewn about his floor.
I did not get very far before stumbling upon a large wet spot on the floor, right about where he had been sitting while he "cleaned" things before dinner. Now I know I have been a parent for nine years now, but for some reason, that puddle had me stumped. I could not for the life of me figure out when Pig Jr. had snuck a cup of water into his room, nor could I imagine why he would have spilled it without gleefully exclaiming that he needed a paper towel. He loves using paper towels to clean up anytime he drops his water cup. I'm fairly certain that enjoyment has actually been the reason he has made a mess with water on at least one occasion.
I walked into the bathroom where Pig Jr. was preparing to wash his hands. As I started to ask him why water was spilled on his floor, I realized that his shorts looked wet. He looked up at me, mortified, and sudden comprehension dawned. The poor kidlet had an accident before dinner and was so embarrassed to admit it, he sat through dinner while completely soaked.
After shower number two for my now sobbing little guy, I cleaned up the mess in his room and tucked him into bed. I feel horrible that he had an accident and did not want to tell me about it. My poor little kidlet hates feeling wet, and he suffered in silence rather than let me know. He's never gotten in trouble for having an accident. Heck, he is four years old. Accidents happen at this age, especially with little boys who are too busy having fun with their grandparents to want to stop playing to use the bathroom. I am actually relieved that I found the wet spot on the floor so that I investigated the problem. That would have been horrible if Pig Jr. had to be miserable all night long because he was sleeping in wet clothing.
Poor kidlet.
No comments:
Post a Comment