Rooster has an allergist that we absolutely adore. She's knowledgeable, quirky, and prescribed a cookie a day for my little lady in order to slowly get Rooster able to consume eggs. Rooster is happy with this, I am thrilled to bake cookies all the time, and even the other kidlets enjoy being able to have the occasional cookie these days. We would not normally have such goodies just lying around, so we all partake of them just because we can. Quite frankly, the only thing that is objecting to the allergist's declaration is my waistline.
The downside of having to have cookies in the house, and it having to be ones I bake in order to control the ingredients, is that I feel like I am baking cookies almost every day. When I bake them, I have to taste-test at least one from each cookie sheet that comes out of the oven, lest part of the batch burn too much or have poorly mixed ingredients somehow. Quality control is very important, you know. Once they are cool, I do put them in the freezer in an airtight container, which led me to the discovery that I really, really like frozen oatmeal cookies. So I'll eat one or four in-between meals, after meals, while I am making meals... The next thing I know, I've eaten all the cookies and my little allergy girl still needs them for her daily dose of eggs. I start baking once more and continue until I have perpetuated the cycle indefinitely.
This is a Very Bad Thing. Why is it so bad? For the first time in my non-pregnant adult life, I am fifteen pounds above my goal weight. I am still in the "normal" weight range for my height, but if I so much as retain an ounce of water for any reason, I'm going over into "overweight." When I start to toy with the idea of cutting my hair just to lose a bit of weight, I know I'm pushing the envelope of how acceptable my weight gain is.
My kidlets, after hearing myself mumble about how I'm getting fat, have decided to take it upon themselves to regulate my weight. Rooster told me I was getting fat, and was scolded for being rude. Pig Jr. decided to copy his sister with the same result. Horse was wise enough to keep her fool mouth shut on the level of padding I am adding to my physique, but she did start asking me, "Cookies, again?" whenever she hears the freezer drawer open.
I decided I needed to up the number of minutes I force myself to use our Wii Fit every day. I am adding one additional minute a day until I achieve a full hour's worth of torture...I mean, exercise. I made it up to forty minutes today, and felt proud of myself for not keeling over dead like I thought I might do. The fact that I had a friend send me a supportive text message about my decision to exercise helped immensely.
Later on in the day, I had an unexpected phone call from a relative, who fessed up about her own weight struggles. To hear that someone who eats right and exercises regularly also has issues with the occasional cookie-binge made me feel normal, instead of the guilty cookie-junkie that I see in the mirror, bloating before my own eyes.
I managed to go a whole day without eating any cookies. I feel like I am starving. I physically feel like I need junk food this very second or I will waste away into nothingness. Intellectually, I know I just finished a full dinner about an hour and fifteen minutes ago. I am not really hungry, although my cookie-loving self sure thinks I am. Those two people who reached out to me today are helping me to have the willpower to step away from the freezer where I know those deliciously rock-hard oatmeal cookies are attempting to call my name. (I even tried putting those oatmeal goodies, individually wrapped, in a bag that read, "Rooster's Cookies. Do not eat under penalty of FAT!" in the hopes that threatening myself with the very real consequences of snarfing them might perchance convince me to leave those suckers alone.) So far, I am keeping those cookies as far away from the open cavern of my mouth as is possible. Those two individuals who have my back seem to be making the difference, and I am supremely thankful.
I'm thinking I probably should not make myself any Wacky Cake just to celebrate my cookie-free day though.
No comments:
Post a Comment