Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Enough Straws, the Camel's Back is Broken Already!

Today was a "little thing" kind of day. Every single little thing just happened to irk the heck out of me. My normal cure for such a day is chocolate, but unfortunately, there is none to be had in our household.

Facebook rolled out another revamp that divided its users into two camps: those who were highly irritated at the changes, and those who were annoyed at the people irritated at the changes. My personal opinion is that Facebook is a business, and even though it is free to its users, advertisers are paying them big bucks for the privilege of inundating the users with their ads. Therefore, the users are allowed to have opinions. Yes, it is an inconvenience and yes, we do not need to use the "free" site, but it is still a business that is making money off of us and we should be allowed to gripe about it. Starving individuals are unrelated to this issue and should not be brought up as an excuse for why we should not complain. That's an insult to those starving people to be equated with something so inane.

Two of my kidlets have congestion that may or may not be allergies or colds. I have congestion that is either allergies or a cold with allergies on top of that. From the itchy eyes, throat, and ear canals, I can guarantee that allergies are involved somehow. I also have my usual it's-going-to-rain-soon headache that has been plaguing me all day.

Errands consumed most of my day, leaving me to wonder why I am called a stay-at-home mom when I am rarely at home.

Pig Jr. kept hitting "replay" on the same YouTube video over and over again for half an hour. It was barely over a minute long, and I swear I am going to be hearing that stupid perky music in my sleep tonight.

I was stuck waiting around the elementary school (hence the YouTube video, thank you smart phone...) to see if I was supposed to take another child home from school because her father never sent me the promised text message to let me know if I was off the hook. I wound up stuck in traffic while trying to get the three-quarters of a mile home because I drove rather than walk my kidlets past a hornet's nest the school promised to take care of tonight. (I had spotted it, along with a group of boys who were looking for a way to stir up the nest, before school this morning.)

Horse realized she left her reading book at school today, and her reading homework is due tomorrow. In theory, we could access it online, if only her teacher had sent home her user name and password. He did not, so we could not, and I wasted almost an hour trying to come up with a combination of her first and last name that might do the trick. The irony was that she was given a homework pass for use tonight on anything except her reading homework.

Rooster continually picks books to read that are way beyond her current reading level, and frustrates me with my need to read every other word before she does. She refused to follow the directions on her spelling work, and it is currently illegible from all of the erasures. Horse could not figure out how to sit down, shut up, and do her own work, and instead spent time harping on her sister about how wrong Rooster was. Oh, and then she decided to write on Rooster's math homework, which caused Rooster to burst into tears about how Horse ruined her paper. I'm fairly certain I should have handed out Academy Awards to them for their melodramatic reactions.

I have to get out to the library this evening in order to return books that are due today and to pick up a book that is being held for me. Sadly, I have been unable to finish any of the books I had taken out, and it does not look like I will have the time to read them in the near future. By "near future," I mean "until next Spring at the earliest."

My favorite eReader changed its format and now I cannot figure out how to delete a number of free ebooks that I had downloaded under the mistaken belief they were historical fiction. Unbeknownst to me, "historical fiction" is apparently code for "crummy, graphic, romance novel theoretically set in the 1800s despite a complete lack of accuracy for the given time period." I do not want that trash on my eReader, and now I have no immediate knowledge on how to purge it from those digital pages.

I also have a hangnail. Oddly, that's the most serious of all the issues I have today.

None of my problems today are insurmountable. None of them are serious. None of them are even life-altering, although I do have to remember to not loan my daughter my eReader until I manage to delete that junk from it. But I'm still cranky and sulking, regardless of the level of severity of today's obstacles. It's all the stupid little things that get me down.

I probably should be thinking of all the little things that can cheer me up: Pig Jr.'s cackle while watching that video over and over, Rooster's enthusiastic cartwheels while we waited at the school this afternoon, Horse's delight at not having to do her spelling homework, Pig not having to work late, my thrusting the kidlets on Pig so I can hit the library all by myself after dinner (okay, so maybe that would be a straw for his camel's back even while it's lightening my load), Pig Jr.'s pride in managing to blow his nose loudly, the friend of mine who called to check on me because she thought I looked "down" when she saw me today,  getting a new pair of shoes delivered, and many other things. The little things might get me down, but at least they can also cheer up me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment