Thursday, September 8, 2011

How many relatives does it take to buy a house?

We are attempting to sell our house. I am personally tempted to hang a sign out front bragging about how well we withstood Hurricane Irene, and telling people they should come buy the house. I am not going to do that, frankly, because luck seems to have a lot to do with which houses were fine and which had problems. We never lost power, so our sump pump could keep up with the water. Other houses in our town lost power, and if they did not have a generator to run the pumps, they flooded. Some houses had trees fall on them simply because of the direction the high winds were blowing. There is a large tree out in front of our house, so we ran that risk just as much as the next house. We were fortunate. I would like to be even more fortunate and sell our house.

There is one woman who is the only person to really show a serious interest in our house ever since we put it on the market months ago. She came to check out the house multiple times, and with different combinations of relatives each time. I am starting to wonder whether we should start charging her room and board for the amount of time she spent here already.

Today, she returned to look at the house with her father. We have already had her mother, her daughter, her daughter's father, and now her father, in addition to visiting here by herself a couple of times. I have no problem showing the house to someone who is actually interested in buying it, but her welcome is starting to wear a bit thin. Her father, on today's visit, walked through the house mumbling as many blasphemies as he could under his breath. Supposedly, they told our realtor that her father had "different ideas for the house, so they're still thinking about it." Oh, goody. I suppose this means they will ponder those ideas and then come back for another perusal to see if the ideas really make sense for this house.

I know I should be grateful that they are looking. It is a very slow market, and few houses are moving unless it is at significantly reduced prices. We cannot afford to drop our price and still be able to buy a house in the town in which we would like to live. Therefore, we have to wait it out. And waiting it out means putting up with repeat visits from a woman and her three zillion relatives as they check out oodles of houses, repeatedly.

I want to tell her she is not allowed back in my house unless she coughs up a respectable bid. I want to tell her that it is her decision to buy or not to buy and she needs to grow up and make a decision without involving each and every one of her relatives. I wish to scold her for wasting my time, my realtor's time, her family members' time, and that if she wishes to get the opinions of her loved ones, she should do it all together to save everyone the hassle of repeat visits. I very much want to hang a sign out front that states, "The house has not changed. Either buy it or don't, but stop bothering me until you've made up your mind." I did tell her we got a tiny bit of water in one corner of our basement with the hurricane, in the hopes that it would either give her the excuse to stop looking at the house or would provide useful information in case she does cough up an acceptable offer. If I acted on my obnoxious thoughts, I might be my realtor's worst nightmare. Too bad I do not voluntarily take on that role in life, no matter how many times I might have stumbled into it accidentally.

I just have to behave. I shall keep my mouth shut, my house as clean as possible, and will tolerate visits from that lady's sisters, cousins, doctors, neighbors, etc. I really hope it leads to a sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment