Friday, September 30, 2011

Kidlet "Logic"

Saying that the kidlets keep me on my toes is putting it mildly. Every day brings new and potentially heart-stopping experiences with three individuals whose whole goal in life is to try and impose their "logic" onto everyone else. Invariably, I feel my brain cells die as I try to comprehend what on earth possessed them to pull a particular stunt, make a bizarre statement, or ask a question that appears to have no bearing on everything else going on around them.

After school today, Rooster was thrilled to discover our fall mums had really started blooming well. She was babbling about all of the flowers for quite a while.

     Rooster: "And then, after these flowers all bloom, then the apples start growing, and they have seeds hidden inside of them!"
     Me: "Honey, these are mums."
     Rooster: "I know. When are they going to grow apples?"
     Me: "These are not apple trees. Only apple trees grow apples."
     Rooster: "But my teacher said that after the blooms come the apples!"
     Me: "Only on apple trees. These are mums, not apple trees."
     Rooster: "I guess I have to wait and see. Can I eat the apples when they grow?"

Later on, darling Rooster was the reason I was cleaning the bathroom floor for the third time in two days. Her brother was the reason for the first two times, but at least he was not the one who chose to draw all over the floor with petroleum jelly. When she came to tell me she could not destroy the evidence, I asked her what happened. She told me some "fell on the floor when I globbed it there and smeared it around. I think it might be sort of my fault. Maybe. Can I say it was an accident?"

Still later, Pig Jr. and Rooster were playing a game and decided to throw the pieces all around the living room. "They fell!" Apparently, we have some special gravitational phenomena in our living room that allows objects to fall in an upward trajectory.

Let's not forget about Horse, either. She excels in trying to command her siblings to obey her every whim, and then proceeds to tattle on them whenever they tell her she's bossy. If the shoe fits, kiddo... She has yet to understand the cause and effect nature of those interactions. She especially likes controlling how her younger siblings play.

     Rooster: "I want to play with your Barbie house today!"
     Horse: "I don't want to set it up today, but I will let you use it tomorrow. I promise."
     Rooster: "Okay." (Fast-forward twenty-four hours...) "I want to play with your Barbie house!"
     Horse: "I'm not doing that today, so you can't either."
     Rooster: "But you promised!"
     Horse: "So what?"

I just may have a future politician on my hands here.

A relative asked me if it would be okay to give us some money so we could purchase Christmas presents for the kidlets ourselves. That was fine by me, and I asked Horse if she wanted to use any money allocated to her to go buy some clothing at a couple of stores that she adores. She was thrilled, to put it mildly. Those stores have more expensive clothing, and she has been jealous of her friends who frequent them. She's been talking about that shopping spree a lot. Today, I mentioned we should start planning the shopping spree, or at least narrow down where she wants to shop. Her response? "Yeah! But, um, can I buy a game for the [electronic gadget she rarely uses] instead?" This is why Santa has a coronary every year.

I love my kidlets, but I don't think I shall ever understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment