Today is Labor Day. Generally speaking, this means my family has just one more day after today that still counts as summer vacation. In just two days, school will start. Specifically, this means that I just now remembered that I never checked to see if Pig Jr. could fit into any of his long pants. Oh, and Wednesday's weather is supposed to be in the high-sixties, low-seventies, so he kind of needs to keep his chilly little legs covered.
Thankfully, I had decided to get Pig Jr.'s backpack ready for school today. He is the easy one to prepare. Preschool does not require the same level of purchases that the elementary school does. They do, however, require a spare set of clothing to be sent in just in case it is needed. I had already learned my lesson about those spare clothes. On the last day of our last school year, on one of the hottest days in June, my little man had an accident and was forced to don a long sleeved shirt and pants because I had neglected to send in shorts and a t-shirt. Oops.
So off I went to procure a spare set of clothing that would take my little fellow through at least October. Shorts were easy enough to locate this time of year, and we always have oodles of socks and underwear. I grabbed the one polo shirt that Pig Jr. had used as an experiment to see if his scissors could cut through the knit material. (They can, and the shirt has the hole to prove it.) I figured that the hole was fine in a spare shirt, especially since it is down towards the bottom where it can be tucked in and hidden. Pants, however, were a bit more of a challenge.
Upon opening Pig Jr.'s dresser drawer, I realized he only had 4T pants there. He is currently wearing 5T shorts, with the exception of a few pairs of denim 4T shorts that have those adjustable waistbands. Rather than just running up to the attic to see where I stashed the 5T clothing, I eyeballed the pants and thought that perhaps they might still fit him. We then embarked on Operation Sensory-Kidlet-Trying-on-Clothes.
In years past, Pig Jr. has rejected any clothing that was not of a knit material. As far as pants are concerned, this means my kidlet has been wearing sweatpants, sweatpants, and more sweatpants. We did actually have a number of other pants which were hand-me-downs from a friend. I held on to those other pants in the off-chance that my son might suddenly reject all things knit and only want to wear denim. With sensory kidlets, they tend to know exactly what they can tolerate, and anything else is outright rejected, but they do sometimes change their minds if something about the fabric or cut of the clothing offends them. A quick glance at the 4T sweatpants told me that about half of them were too small. The 4T pants looked like they might actually still fit, provided I could force them onto my kidlet's unwilling body. I was not keen on even attempting such a feat.
Pig Jr. was fairly eager to try on the sweatpants and, as expected, about half of them no longer fit. Surprisingly, he grabbed at the denim, khaki, and mystery fabric pants and tried them on without me having to so much as suggest he do so. The next thing I knew, he was running back and forth from his bedroom to wherever his father was in order to show off his "new" pants. He was happy, relaxed, and so very proud of himself for having pants with pockets. The miracle was not in that they fit my son; it was that he wanted to wear something that was not in sweatpant-form. The fact that they fit him perfectly was an added bonus.
All of the pants made it into the hamper so that I can wash them tomorrow and have them ready for my big boy to start school on Wednesday. Most of them had been sitting untouched in his drawer for the past year, so they needed to be freshened up a bit. His sisters' clothing needs were already addressed so I am not expecting any major surprises until their next regularly scheduled growth spurts. Hopefully, this will make everything much easier to collect tomorrow when we prepare for school.
Now all I have to do is convince them they want to actually sleep tomorrow night, and we should be ready to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment