Around a week ago, I finally decided I would splurge on a purchase that Pig had been ooh-ing and ahh-ing over for quite some time. Our bath mats were looking more than slightly worse for their wear, and Pig had been admiring a bath mat he saw in a particular store. It was fluffy, promised to absorb many times its weight in water, and even came in a shade of tan that matched our bathroom. I hemmed and hawed and wondered why on earth we should waste money buying a new bath mat when the old ones still did the trick. However, when I noticed the price had dropped a bit, I finally caved and made the purchase.
Pig, oddly enough, was underwhelmed. I suspect he was really only interested in items related to domesticity when he had to put up with some raggedy-looking frayed things on the floor. The kidlets, however, were over the moon.
The day I first placed that fluffy creation on the floor, the kidlets all spend far too much time in the bathroom. They wanted to jump up and down and feel the softness beneath them. Horse happened to have a friend over for a playdate that day, and she was also roped into jumping in our bathroom. After they were done jumping, they insisted on running their hands all over the mat. I decided we needed a rule about our new acquisition: no shoes on it, because they managed to get dirt chunks all over it from their sneakers. The alternative would have been to require them to clean their shoes better before entering the house, and that might be asking the impossible.
After these past few days, we have had to add more rules, and they have gotten more and more bizarre. After opening the bathroom door to ask Rooster what was taking her so long to exit the bathroom after getting out of the shower, only to discover her still completely naked and rolling around on the bath mat, we insisted that feet are the only body part allowed on the bath mat. After seeing the words "GO to HI" and wondering who would write about going to Hawaii, we mentioned that no one should write on the bath mat. It took a few more days for me to realize the "HI" in question was not referencing a US state, but Horse's initials. Regardless, we are still trying to sell the house, and how would it look to someone coming in to look at the house and seeing writing on the floor? Writing was a no-no. The day after, weird parallel lines were sketched all over the mat. A little investigation led to Horse confessing that she used her hairbrush to decorate it, since she wasn't allowed to write on it with her fingers. I suppose I should be grateful that the hairbrush is getting some use since Horse has a tendency to not thoroughly brush out her tangled rat's nest of hair. Today, we have weird patterns that appear to have been made by someone's size twelve-wide feet, complete with areas where toes figure predominantly and areas where heels have been dragged in bold stripes.
I shudder to think what they will come up with next.
No comments:
Post a Comment