The weather people lie. I know this. You know this. They know this. Yes, they might claim they are merely making educated guesses based on what their sophisticated instruments describe, but ultimately I still consider most of it to be attempts at lying convincingly. However, when the weather reports claimed that this week was going to have sixty-ish degree weather, I was willing to accept that lie as a proven fact.
In preparation for a week's worth of cool weather, I decided to get all of the kidlets' long-sleeved clothing down from the attic. I carried the seven boxes down the stairs to our living room. Pig Jr. then helped me sort through the boxes and put the correct clothing sizes on each of the girls' beds. His own clothing went directly into the hamper since he is not likely to need to try on each and every one of ten pairs of size 5T sweatpants we had stored. (Seriously, how did we get so many sweatpants in the same size? There were a couple of other pair of adjustable-waist jeans or khakis, but about a zillion sweatpants.)
I started constructing a list of what we had and what we needed, just based upon the contents of those boxes. Two kidlets need a new winter jacket this year. A different pair need a medium weight jacket for when hoodies are not sufficient but it is still too warm for winter coats. Pig Jr. has plenty of sweatpants (ya think?), but needs long-sleeved shirts that do not have eyes or faces on them. Seriously, the boy will not wear a shirt that appears to be staring. All shirts that have characters or head shots, whether realistic or cartoony, qualify. Rooster has plenty of clothing from which to choose for the cooler weather. That's a perk of getting all of your sister's hand-me-downs. Horse, on the other hand, well, let's just say that she is currently in a 12/14 and clothing mostly comes in 10/12 or 14/16. Her choices are generally either too small or too large.
After everything was sorted by each kidlet's size, Horse and Rooster gleefully tried on clothing in a rapid-fire, fashion show manner. Both girls outright rejected a number of outfits, which was actually fine by me. Why should I wash, fold, and maintain a number of outfits they won't ever put on their bodies? Those went immediately back into the attic containers. Rooster finished trying on everything fairly quickly, but most of what she put on either fit her perfectly or was slightly large. Slightly large is a good thing with children's clothing. It means I won't be desperately hunting down the next-larger size when the current size suddenly becomes too small for a kidlet in the midst of a growth spurt. Horse took her sweet time, and it took her almost twice as long as Rooster to try on fewer clothes. As expected, a number of her clothing choices were too small. Here's hoping she has enough to last a few weeks until the weather makes up its mind to get and stay cold.
All things considered, we don't have to buy as many things as I thought we might need. Realistically speaking, we'll have a fairly large shopping spree to make with Horse once she officially needs the 14/16 size instead of it still being a bit too big. (In Rooster's size, a little too big is fine. In Horse's, it is not. I have no desire to dress my fourth grader up in clothing that is falling off of her, and most of the shirts she likes have large scoop necks. Scoop necks that are too big are not a good idea for my kidlet, not unless she'll let me follow her around and throw a blanket over her to cover her up.)
I still cannot believe my nine-year-old is growing as big as she is. If memory serves, and it might not, I did not hit a 14/16 until about sixth grade, which is two years ahead of where she is at the moment. I guess kidlets do tend to grow bigger than their parents. I just wish they would wait until I'm ready for them to grow bigger. Granted, that might never occur, but I'd still rather it be on my terms. Life just does not work that way, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment