Friday, October 14, 2011

The Tooth Fairy Strikes Again

It's been an exciting couple of weeks in our household. Rooster lost two teeth in fairy rapid succession, which left her looking like quite the adorable little jill-o-lantern. Yesterday morning, she woke up to discover that the tooth in-between those two gaps had gone missing sometime during the night.

Oddly enough, the first question out of her mouth was not whether or not she had swallowed the missing tooth. Her first concern was how to tell the Tooth Fairy that she lost a tooth when she had really lost it. Honestly, I was grateful. I could answer that question. ("Just write a letter to the Tooth Fairy. I'm sure she'll understand.") I was more worried that she would freak out if she thought she had swallowed her tooth. I could almost see her asking nervously whether or not her tooth had any dairy in it. She still hasn't quite grasped the idea of what a dairy allergy means in cases like this, and the concept of accidentally ingesting dairy often scares her. Thankfully, that thought never crossed her mind, or if it did, it remained unsaid. Since she typically blurts out whatever she thinks before her brain has a chance to put a halt to bizarre statements, I am assuming it is the former as opposed to the latter.

Anyway, Rooster sat down to write a quick note to the Tooth Fairy after her (Rooster's) homework was completed yesterday afternoon. Here's what she wrote:

     Rooster
     Dear Tooth fairy,
     I Lost a tooth in the morning and I Lost it.
     Love,
     Rooster .1

She remembered to put her name at the top of the paper, just like her teacher reminds them to do at school. She also added her class number, complete with period in front of it, which is her usual method of writing it. The Tooth Fairy must have thought it was adorable, because she wrote back, in minuscule writing on a piece of paper approximately one inch by an inch-and-a-half:

     Dear Rooster,
     Thank you for
     your letter. It is
     okay that you can't
     find your tooth.
     Congratulations on
     losing yet another
     tooth! You are such
     a big girl now!
     Love,
     The Tooth Fairy

To say that Rooster was ecstatic about getting a letter from the Tooth Fairy is the understatement of the year. She carried that tiny piece of paper around with her for hours today. Even Horse was thrilled about her sister's letter. "Wow, Rooster! I guess she really is a fairy then, cuz they're tiny! I wonder how small her pencil was!" That statement alone sparked a ten minute debate on how small a writing implement could possibly be.

Thank you, Tooth Fairy. You made my toothless daughter's day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment