Thursday, October 6, 2011

Smile, it's class picture day!

It's that time of year again. It's the time where we shell out exorbitant fees for the privilege of someone else trying to make our little darlings smile, keep their hair straight, and look as if their clothing is at least somewhat ironed.

I hate class picture days. It conjures up memories of having to wear clothing that made me itch while some freaky looking dude tried to make me smile after reusing the same comb on me that had been already used on every child who came before me. If that wasn't bad enough, my pictures almost always came out with me looking atrocious. I still cringe when I think of the negative comments I heard about how my pictures came out. Even people who saw how I looked when the picture was taken expressed shock at how horrible they were. Clearly, my plain Jane face does not take well to pictures.

My kidlets, however, are extremely photogenic. They have no choice really. They have been photographed a zillion times ever since they were born. Our family lovingly refers to the "grandpaparazzi" who are responsible for taking the vast majority of those beautiful pictures. I'm just grateful my kidlets inherited Pig's genes for photographs. I have seen some amazing pictures of him as a child.

Yesterday, Rooster had her class pictures. She chose to wear a green patterned shirt just to annoy me. (I detest the color green, and as a general rule do not willingly purchase green clothing.) I tend to believe that if the kidlets feel comfortable about themselves, their pictures will have happier-looking kidlets, so I do let them choose their own outfits. I might just have to make a suggestion or two. Those suggestions are almost irrelevant as they are almost completely ignored.

Getting back to Rooster... I sent her off to school looking cute, happy, and eager to smile. Her gap-toothed grin should come out wonderfully if the photographer managed to get her to smile broadly. However, when she came out of school wearing a big, ugly sticker on the front of her shirt, I asked if her photograph was taken with it on her. She shrugged and told me she didn't know. We might have just paid through the nose for a portrait of a hideously ugly green shirt covered up with an even uglier, glaringly obvious, large sticker.

There was no way I wanted the same issue for Pig Jr.'s class pictures today. The good news is that we did not. The bad news is that the only shirt he insisted on wearing was a green one. Dagnabit. Oh, well, at least the younger two kidlets will match. I selected a very nice pair of black pants to wear with his affront to humanity...erm...I mean green shirt. He rejected it without explanation. The only pants he deemed worthy of putting on his body were a pair of khakis that were so large that I had to roll up the ankles and roll down the waist so they would sort of fit him.

At least the dang kid is cute. He could wear nothing but dust bunnies and still look adorably photogenic. Too bad his wheezing precludes wearing dust bunnies to school. At least dust bunnies aren't green.

Now Horse has her class picture day tomorrow. I doubt she will get much sleep with all of the excitement she is apparently feeling towards her big day. I am not worried at all on her behalf. She's old enough to keep her clothing neat and smile when instructed to do so. She does not even have any green clothing to inflict upon me when I gaze on her portrait for years to come. Here's hoping her picture day runs smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment