Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Can't we just be stupid for a change?

I am really struggling to deal with something at the moment. Someone I know has this tendency to try to prove to the world that she is intellectual, and I cannot stand getting caught in the crossfire.

I know I have had times in the past when I was knowledgeable about a subject matter, or at least thought I was, and I am sure I bored the heck out of (or irritated) the people with whom I was conversing. (I shall pause here, and allow those that know me to get through their sarcastic no's, ya thinks, and other karmic retribution commentary before I continue.) However, sometimes it's nice to not have to overthink everything. It's nice to make a comment about something silly a kidlet said without someone arguing that the child is, linguistically speaking, correct, and I should add a caveat to my statement that proves I am not blaming my child's teacher for the comment that I feel is incorrect and the intellectual elite believes has basis in fact.

The truth is, I don't give a rat's patootie about linguistics. I do not care if certain languages share the same origin, similar patterns, or any other commonality. What I do care about is telling my misinformed kidlet that Spanish and Hebrew are not the same language. The kid is six. She does not need to be thinking about languages at a grad school level. Not everything needs that stinkin' level of thought!

I am seriously debating whether I should drop out of a group I am in strictly so I do not have to deal with things being analyzed to this degree by this particular individual. I have no desire to play Whose Brain is Bigger about anything, let alone comments that were made to prove a completely different point. (The point of that conversation was actually that I do not want the public schools to teach my children about religion because my middle child can't get any of her facts straight. She needs quite a bit of repetition, and that is just not provided in the few minutes the school allots to talking about a particular holiday.)

The most annoying part of this is that my child meant to say that "Jewish" and Hebrew were essentially the same (and for my six-year-old, that's about what I would expect her to get from her lessons on Hanukkah at a public school), and she instead said "Spanish." Given that a large percentage of our town's population speaks Spanish, I can see why she would say that by accident. Knowing my luck, this particular individual would try and prove how smart she is by telling me that "Jewish" and Hebrew are nothing alike. Seriously, I just don't want to have to think that much. I'd much rather be stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment