Saturday, December 17, 2011

Timing is everything, especially at a walk-in clinic...

I have been putting off going to the doctor's office for a number of days now. I strongly suspected having a sinus infection, but had too much to do in order to get ready for the holidays. I don't see a regular doctor (the logic being that if we're going to eventually sell the house and move, I'll just find a regular family doctor at that point in time), so this means I'm pretty much stuck going to a walk-in clinic when I am sick.

Now there are two walk-in clinics within a short distance of my house. One of them is notorious for misdiagnosing pretty much everyone. Last spring, they diagnosed my bronchitis as a sinus infection, even when I asked them why I was wheezing. "You don't wheeze for a sinus infection, doc!" Needless to say, I wound up switching which clinic I now use. The unfortunate thing is that the second clinic has wait time that typically stretches into several hours. I really did not want to waste three or four hours waiting around to be seen when I had tons of things to accomplish, but my sinus headache was getting to be a bit too much to bear and still function to do everything.

So off I went, just in time to get out of cooking dinner for the family. I only hoped I would be home before ten o'clock at night.

It took me approximately two minutes to check in at the front desk. Then there was about thirty seconds of waiting around before a room was located. Once situated in the room and being tortured by football on the wall television (Trust me, this is torture for me. After dating a football fanatic in college, I never want to see another football game again.) for a whole whopping two minutes, a nurse came in to check my vital signs. The good news was that I was alive. Huzzah! About three minutes after that, the doctor arrived, checked me out, verified that I was indeed as mucous-filled as I was claiming (Do people really try to fake congestion?) then prescribed an antibiotic and nasal spray. About fifteen minutes after I arrived at the walk-in clinic, I was back out in my car and heading to a pharmacy.

I think I just used up all of my good timing for the next year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment