Rooster had a busy day at school today. I'm fairly certain she spent the entire day at the nurse's office, completely freaked out about her loose tooth. She had three missing teeth all in a row, and the fourth one was not quite ready to fall out, although it was close.
Quite frankly, I'll be glad when she's done losing baby teeth. I have never met a child more petrified about losing a tooth. She whimpers, screams, cries, grimaces, and tries to talk out of the side of her mouth to avoid wiggling the offending thing.
Anyway, I gave her a snack of dry cereal this afternoon (It's the only way my kidlets will eat Cheerios: dry, and as an afternoon snack. Go figure.) and watched uncomfortably as she chewed bizarrely so as to not accidentally bump her loose tooth. The next thing I knew, she was crying. The good news is that her tooth fell out. The bad news is that this is the second tooth in a row that she swallowed by accident.
Once the hysteria over losing a tooth had ended, she was quite thrilled with her gaping mouth. The absence of four teeth in a row makes her look a bit as if she has vampire fangs now, but she thinks that's cool. She wrote a note to the Tooth Fairy, explaining how she once again swallowed another tooth.
Not to be outdone, Horse spent the afternoon wiggling her one loose tooth. By bedtime, that sucker had been ripped out of her mouth by her father, who handles the evening tooth brushing routine and had been concerned about the jagged edge of that tooth slicing into her gum. It took quite a while for that to stop bleeding, and the blood freaked out Rooster anew. She was also concerned that Horse would take all the Tooth Fairy money and leave her with nothing.
I was more concerned that we had two kidlets vying for use of the Tooth Fairy box. The odds of both girls losing a tooth on the same day had been slim, and I was sorely tempted to spend the evening glaring at my husband for forcing the tooth from it's then-current location in Horse's mouth.
Anyway, the Tooth Fairy has come and gone already. Each girl has an envelope with the desired cash inside, and tiny handwriting on the outside declaring each name. I suppose I should be grateful that the Tooth Fairy did not have to coincide with a visit from Santa. I'll have to tell my husband to keep his hands away from any more loose teeth in the kidlets' mouths on December 24th.
No comments:
Post a Comment