My previous cell phone number owner was some guy by the name of Damian. I've had this number since around Easter, but I still get a number of calls and text messages for him. Whenever possible, I let the callers know the number no longer belongs to that gentleman, but a number of people are still trying to reach him.
The messages for Damian are coming in more frequently now that it's December and the holidays are upon us. The best I can tell his callers is that this number is no longer his, and I hope they manage to get in touch with him.
All of these messages got me thinking. I have no idea who Damian is, let alone what holidays he celebrates, whether he is close with his family and friends, or whether he is another victim of this crummy economy and struggling to put food on the table and hide his financial woes from his loved ones. I know his cell phone plan had lapsed because I have gotten collection phone calls from his former service provider. I find myself worrying about this stranger and hoping he just ran into a short stretch of bad luck that rapidly improved. Alas, since I have his former number, but not a current one (if a current one even exists), I am unable to wish him well.
So this message of Christmas well-wishes goes out to Damian, whoever and wherever he might be. I hope you know how many people are calling for you, and hoping you are well. Whether you know it or not, there are a lot of individuals out there who are taking time out of their busy holiday schedules to want to talk to you. The guy who called today said he felt badly because he had not talked to you in a while, but he was hoping to catch up with you during the holidays. There are a lot of callers like that: people who wish they were still in your life and hope you are okay. I hope you are able to reach out to them because they are obviously unable to reach you through me. And wherever you are, I hope you have a Merry Christmas. Oh, and you have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment