Wednesday, January 25, 2012

And I thought the kidlets ignoring me was bad...

A week or two ago, Rooster brought home her usual "We're going to have a class party, so please send in two bucks for your kid" envelope. The attached paper also stated that the money was for two parties, Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day, and the New Year party was going to be on the 26th instead of actually on Chinese New Year. I am not entirely sure of that logic, but whatever the case may be, I shall deal with it.

I wrote a note on the envelope that Rooster might not even make it to school for the Chinese New Year party. She has an appointment with her gastroenterologist that morning and we might not make it back to school before lunch. (Lunch is the typical point at which I draw the line and either do or do not bring them to school after an appointment.) This particular doctor often cancels or reschedules appointments with little or no advance warning, so that was the extent to which I notified the school about Rooster's potential absence.

A few days ago, Rooster came running out of school and bragged about how she was one of the few kidlets chosen to be in the Chinese New Year play. I asked her why that was the case when I had notified her teacher that she might not even be there that day. She told me she asked her teacher the same thing, and her teacher told her to just try and make it before their afternoon festivities. What? As if Rooster has any control over how long her doctor's appointment runs!

Today, Rooster informed me her teacher needed to speak with me after school. I dutifully walked over to see what she wanted. Basically, her teacher just wanted to remind me that I needed to send in a snack for my food-allergic daughter to eat during their class party tomorrow. I reminded her that she might not even make it to school tomorrow, and her jaw dropped. Her words were, "But she's in our class play!" I had to re-explain that the doctor's appointment had been scheduled and that we would do what we could, but we had to wait and see. She acted surprised to hear this information.

Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother notifying this particular teacher of anything anyway. At least she finally remembers that Rooster is not allowed to eat anything unless I send it in with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment