Friday, January 20, 2012

The Miracle Beach Towel

Pig Jr. has been home from school for a few days this week. Technically, he's missed three of them because he was discovered to have a sinus infection stemming from his having influenza. Figures the one kidlet who actually got a flu shot this year was the one kid to come down with the flu.

Anyway, despite the fact that his school district would probably have been okay for me to send him back to school, I've kept him home. He's very congested and his coughing sounds atrocious. He also has massive mood swings where he is sobbing one moment and laughing hysterically the next. He gets tired quickly, too. If I didn't know any better, I would swear my son has PMS. I hope this break from school germs and viruses will help his weary immune system to finally beat this thing.

When Pig Jr. and I walked his sisters to school this morning, I situated him into our sole remaining stroller that is large enough to hold him. I threw a beach towel over his legs to help keep him warm in the bitter cold wind. Twenty-seven degrees Fahrenheit is cold enough without wind, thank you very much. That wind chill was brutal, although I'm sure people living in colder climates would laugh at our wimpiness when it comes to winter weather.

Sadly, the beach towel was not enough for Pig Jr. to feel warm throughout our mile-and-a-half round trip. However, he proceeded to make use of it for a good portion of the day.

The beach towel became the cover for a tunnel that "only little kids can crawl under. Not you, Mommy." It was a cape so he could fly around the room. It was mummy wrapping around his four-year-old Mummy self. It was a blanket to lie down upon while reading some books. It was something to hide under and giggle while shouting, "Mommy can't find me! I disappeared!" It was a snugly blanket to curl up under while trying to hide his ears from Mommy. (I'm still not sure why he wanted them hidden. But I was informed, repeatedly, that I could not find them because his hands were over them, so apparently they were hiding.)

Even after playing with his beach towel for several hours, he still wanted to share his new favorite toy with his sisters. That is, however, until he told Horse that the two of them needed to jump onto the beach towel as he held it up high. Two bashed foreheads, two screaming and crying kidlets, two ice packs (and cloths to cover them), and one frustrated and annoyed mother later, and his miracle beach towel was put into his hamper without ceremony.

I can understand a four-year-old coming up with an idea that will get multiple kidlets injured. I don't understand why a nine-year-old, who cannot walk down the hallway without tripping, thinks that jumping into a towel towards her brother was a good idea. I also have no idea how they managed to accomplish the whole forehead-smashing thing, since Horse is quite a bit taller than her brother, and that implies she would have been the one to either bend over or fall into him, not him falling into her. He couldn't even hold up the beach towel high enough to block her visibility.

Too bad this miracle beach towel can't come up with any answers for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment