Monday, January 30, 2012

Glue Sticks

Last Thursday, Rooster came home from school and told me her teacher told her to bring in two glue sticks. I mumbled something about having to pick them up the next time I went out shopping. I was fairly certain that I did not have any left in my school supplies stockpile. (Santa cleaned me out when he took some of my stash to wrap up for the kidlets' stocking stuffers.)

Friday, I went shopping at a store that was conveniently located just a couple hundred feet away from the store where I typically buy glue sticks. Did I enter that store? Not a chance! Did I look for them in the store I actually entered? Nope, can't say that I did. I wandered the store aimlessly, wondering what it was that I was forgetting to purchase, but that was the extent of it.

Saturday, I took Horse to her piano lesson. While out at the lesson, I remembered that I still needed to purchase three airtight containers and a digital food scale that has some degree of accuracy so Horse can mummify some hot dogs for a Science Fair project. Then I went home, Horse and I ate lunch, and I took a nap. Afterwards, it was time to make dinner, get the kidlets in bed, do the dishes, then go snooze some more. I think it is safe to assume I had totally forgotten about purchasing glue sticks by that point in time. The only items that stuck around mentally were for Horse. The concept of having to shop for Rooster must have leaked out of my ears while I slept.

Sunday, I went to the store to purchase Horse's mummification supplies. Coincidentally, I went first to the very same store where I should have purchased glue sticks. I remembered to pick up the shampoo for my younger two kidlets. I found the airtight containers where the hot dogs would apparently be spending the afterlife. Glue sticks never even crossed my mind. I went to another store to find a cheaper digital food scale, but that store did not sell glue sticks so I cannot be blamed for not purchasing any there. The fact that I would not have remembered even if they did sell them is irrelevant.

This takes us to today, which is Monday. I went out grocery shopping today. The grocery store has a nice, somewhat overpriced stationery/office/school supplies department that sells...wait for it...glue sticks! That would have been really quite convenient had I remembered to enter said department. Instead, I sailed around the store, forgetting half of my list, but being quite thankful that I remembered to pick up frozen vegetables this week. (I forgot them last week, which had warranted a separate trip to the grocery store because I wanted us to eat something other than five-year-old canned beans.) As of this point in time, I think it is safe to say that my usually organized brain is attempting to take an unscheduled holiday.

After school let out, Rooster handed me a note from her teacher. It informed me I needed to send in two glue sticks. Dang it. Well, at least I remember them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment