I used to think that by the time I became an adult, nightmares would be a thing of the past. Clearly, I was misinformed.
I have had extremely violent nightmares ever since I was quite young. I have died in dreams more often than not, and I am living proof that doing so does not mean you die in real life. Typically, my dreams turn to nightmares when I am stressed, pregnant, or sick, although there have been other times, too. I have actively tried to change my nightmares only to be told by people or creatures in my dreams that I am not allowed to do so. I have no idea what that implies is going on in my head, and I don't really want to find out.
Last night, I was hoping to get caught up on sleep. Dragging around in a stupor is becoming far too commonplace of an occurrence for me. I went to bed without blogging here, which rarely happens, and did not even bother logging into my favorite online game. Just before I nodded off, I heard one kidlet bump into the wall in his sleep and another kidlet make some sort of indistinguishable noise. From that point on, I was in full Mommy-alert, unable to sleep most of the time and having nightmares when I dozed off from sheer exhaustion.
At one point, I forcibly woke myself up from a dream where a demon-like monster was using uprooted trees to bash the back of a truck in which a bunch of people, myself included, were hiding. That was pretty much it for me in the sleep department. Where my brain comes up with this sort of thing is beyond my comprehension.
What strikes me as weird about the whole thing was that I did not watch anything violent before going to bed. I had read a pretty peaceful book that I really enjoyed during the day. None of the kidlets were fighting with one another, and they all seemed happy and healthy when they went to bed. I did not eat a late-night snack, or nosh on anything that would mess with my stomach and potentially cause bizarre dreams. To the best of my knowledge, I can only assume that my brain is trying to kill me for no good reason.
And now that it is time for everyone to start waking up, I'm going back to bed. Wish me luck getting some sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment