Last night was a long night in the Brawn household. Pig Jr. was up a good portion of the night with coughing and congestion. This means that I was also up a good portion of the night. Yippee-skippee.
Anyway, my theory about kidlets being up all night is that they do not get to go to school the next day. What would they do there? Sleep all day? Infect everyone else in their class? I don't see that as being a positive thing to do. Therefore, like it or not, Pig Jr. was going to keep me company at home after taking his sisters to school. So much for that trip to the grocery store I was planning on making this morning.
Once the girls were safely ensconced in the school environment (and likely picking up germs and viruses of their own), I told Pig Jr. it was going to be rest time. He, however, had other ideas. The boy was bouncing off the walls. How a kid who got no sleep all night long could have so much energy in the morning is beyond my comprehension. I finally bribed him with his electronic gadget of choice so that I could at least shut my own eyes for half an hour.
Here's how that half hour went:
Pig Jr.: "Mommy, are your eyes open yet?"
Me: "Please just let me rest for a few minutes."
Pig Jr.: *half-second pause* "Is it time for you to get up yet?"
Me: "No. Please let me rest."
Pig Jr.: *poking me* "Are you getting up now?"
Me: *fake snoring in the hopes he will give up and go play on his DS Lite*
Pig Jr.: "You're silly, Mommy. Are you opening your eyes yet?"
Lather, rinse, and repeat for the remaining twenty-nine minutes of that half-hour time frame. I have heard it said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. I'm fairly certain this means I qualify as insane since I kept telling him to let me rest and expected him to actually do so despite his track record to the contrary.
I am sorely tempted to wait until he drops off to sleep tonight, then pull the same stunt to him that he did to me. Sadly, because I am technically the grown-up in this situation, I shall not. Harrumph.
No comments:
Post a Comment