Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Homemaker's Worth...

A friend of mine shared a link that talked about how much the average stay-at-home mom or dad could earn if they performed their services out in that mysterious location called "The Real World." In other words, how much would you have to pay people to perform comparable services? The answer is typically an astronomical figure that fills me with glee when I contemplate my actual monetary worth.

I did not have the usual reaction today, which surprised me. I actually felt downright depressed to read that high number and look at how it was broken down into individual tasks.

Perhaps my unusual response is because I am far behind in my household chores. The floors are not mopped, the furniture is not dusted, and I cannot even remember the last time I vacuumed. I do know the bathroom was wiped down with chemically-laden cleaning cloths after the phone call today that told me my son tested positive for influenza. I know that the clothes my husband washed at the laundromat yesterday when our washing machine committed suicide were put away, although it took me until this afternoon to finish that task. I did wash the breakfast and lunch dishes, but they are still sitting out in the dish drainer. I started collecting the paper recycling in preparation for the recycling to go out tonight, but neglected to cut and bundle the cardboard that also gets put out at the curb this evening. Pretty much every task I started today, or even yesterday, was not completed.

In other words, if I had to actually bring my services to "The Real World," I would be fired for my poor work completion skills. I guess it's a darn good thing I work for free then, eh?


2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I'm grateful my toilets are not children, because dyfus would have been called on me a long, long time ago. And never mind the crumbs on the rug or the cat hair on the couch, or the pile of laundry contemplating world domination in the basement.

    I work outside the home part time, which means my full time job of homemaker is often time half-assed. Martha Stewart will perpetually be ashamed of my house.

    Ya know what? F**k Martha Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha Who? ;-) I do figure the kidlets being happy (I can't guarantee a "healthy" during the school year)is more important than my ability to clean. As long as no one is naming the dust buffalo or bringing them in for show and tell, I figure I'm still coming out ahead. Glad to hear I'm not alone, Annie!

    ReplyDelete