On weekends, it's apparent we want nothing more than to plunk ourselves down, turn on the electronic equipment (T.V., Wii, laptop, etc.), and rot our brains.
Unfortunately, we're the grownups, so that's not always possible.
Take today, for example. Both Pig and I wanted nothing more than to sit at our laptops and play the silly online game to which we are addicted. What we did, however, was tons of chores and errands. Pig took Rooster to get bloodwork done while I scoured the bathtub and scraped out the mildewed caulk. I took Horse and Pig Jr. to Horse's piano lesson and worked with Pig Jr. to complete his (sadly overdue) thank-you cards for his birthday gifts. While we were out, Pig fed Rooster lunch, then ran out with her to deposit some checks in the bank and head to a store to pick up new caulk for me to use this afternoon. We arrived home before they did, so I fed the three of us lunch by the time the two of them made it home. Then I bleached the bathtub yet again (I really don't like mildew growing up from behind the caulk, which was the reason I needed to re-caulk the stupid tub in the first place. No amount of regular bathroom cleaning makes that look pretty.) before going into the kitchen to do the breakfast and lunch dishes which had piled up during our various tasks. Pig went out to do yardwork while I caulked the now-dry bathtub.
I would have much preferred to play my stupid game. I'm sure Pig would have, too. But we didn't, at least not while there were chores to be done.
The kidlets probably would have wanted to sit and watch movies all day, or to play on their electronic gadget of choice. Instead, they made up these crazy story lines and ran around talking about spies, secret codes, and having to hold meetings to discuss their findings. They dropped these games the second Pig decided to take a break and fight some monsters on a Wii game.
So here we are now, all five of us enthralled by something electronic. The kidlets are all watching Pig play on the Wii while I clown around on the computer. (To be fair to me, I am in the kitchen making dinner right now, too. Mommies always have to multitask. Daddies...not so much.) It's been a long day, so I think we all are happy to be messing around with technology.
Neither Pig nor I have needed a babysitter in decades, but I find it odd that we're thrilled to accept an electronic one.
No comments:
Post a Comment