Monday, May 28, 2012

Is today really "happy"?

"Happy Memorial Day, everyone!" I do not think I will ever understand that quote. Today does not strike me as "happy" when remembering those men and women who died in the service of our country. Then again, I'm not one to attend a funeral and kick up my heels.

I doubt those who currently serve in the Armed Forces would consider today a happy day either, although I cannot speak for them in that regard. Many of them are still mourning those with whom they served. I imagine that a number of them are wondering if their own lives will be remembered on some Memorial Day in the future. That is a sobering thought.

Memorial Day is to remember and honor those who lost their lives. They died. It is irrelevant whether or not we agreed with their reasons for enlisting. It does not matter whether we thought the national policies behind their wars were acceptable or atrocious. Heck, it does not even matter whether those members of the Armed forces were horrible excuses for human beings or the most outstanding, morally upright people who ever walked the face of this earth. All of that is irrelevant. Those men and women gave their lives in the service of our country. They gave the ultimate sacrifice so that those of us left behind could have our barbecues, pool parties, and beach trips this weekend.

I am grateful for those men and women. I am honored to be joining our country in remembering those who gave their lives to protect ideals they may not have even followed. I feel shamed that so many of our veterans, many of whom are still young enough to get carded, are suffering so much these days. (A number of sources I have seen state that on average, eighteen veterans commit suicide every day. My heart just breaks when I hear that people who have put their lives on the line are not being offered the services they need to cope with everything they have seen, heard, and experienced during their years of service.)

Is this a happy day? No, I really do not think it is. I believe it is a day for reflection and gratitude. To those members of the Armed Forces who are currently serving our country, and to those Veterans who have retired from active service, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. To those men and women who never came back, who gave up their lives in the service of our country, I offer you my most sincere thanks and the promise that I will teach my children about why Memorial Day exists. You shall not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment