Saturday, May 12, 2012

White roses...

A few days ago, my husband asked me for ideas for what I might like for Mother's Day. I rambled off a few totally off-the-wall ideas which all cost far more money than we have in our current budget. Granted, they were all things I would love to have some day. I just wasn't expecting any of them to happen. To be fair to my spouse, however, I added a few practical ideas, too. (Nobody pick on my hubby if he gives me one of those phone rest thingies so you can talk on the phone and rest the phone on your shoulder without killing your neck. That was something I actually said I wanted.) I also threw out a few ideas that may or may not fit into our budget, such as white roses.

I absolutely love white roses. They are my favorite type of flower. I prefer them in the smaller, teacup version, but adore them no matter how large or small. It has been years since I have been gifted with white roses, mostly because they do not come cheap.

This morning, my husband asked if he could run out to the grocery store to pick up some vegetables since we were running low. Our middle kidlet went with him, thus leaving me home alone with the two kidlets who actually don't want my constant attention. I decided that I could sneak in a nap before I had to head out for my elder daughter's piano lesson.

I had just fallen asleep when I felt a kidlet's presence near me. Keeping my eyes closed, I listened intently to see if I was needed or if said kidlet was trying to figure out if I was still asleep. A moment later, I heard a weird crinkly sound. I opened my eyes, and my middle kidlet thrust a bouquet of white roses in my face.

My husband wanted to make sure I knew he did not blow the budget on those flowers, so he assured me he only purchased them because they were on sale, and that he knew they didn't live up to his standards. Be still my heart with all that sweet romantic talk. Feel free to roll your eyes. I know I did.

I did thank my husband for the flowers, laughed my fool head off over his admission of buying "cheap" flowers, then told him that the two things in life you never, ever skimp on are jewelry and flowers. I would prefer to not have flowers for years at a time, then have an absolutely stunning bunch rather than getting them more frequently and having them look wilted and miserable by the next morning. That being said, I still love my gifted white roses, even if they were on sale.

After lunch, my husband took all three kidlets out to figure out what to get me for Mother's Day. (I know. It's last minute. To be fair to my husband, the past few weekends have been absolutely packed with things to do, and he's gone for twelve hours a day at work during the week and comes home beat. I don't want him driving after such long days if he doesn't have to do so.) After switching laundry, goofing around on the computer, and doing the dishes, I figured I would once again attempt to take that nap.

I had just started to drift off to sleep when I heard the key in the door. I kept my eyes closed in the off-chance I could fool them into thinking I was sleeping, but I once more felt their presence near me. I sighed and opened my eyes, resigned to the fact that a nap was just not in the cards today.

Two kidlets each had a bouquet of flowers for me in their arms, with two different types of white teacup roses as the dominant flower. My husband, coming into the living room behind them, informed me he made darn sure to not worry about the price of those flowers!

My three kidlets each gave me my favorite type of flower as an early Mother's Day gift, and each of those different white rose types is as beautiful and different from one another as my offspring are.

No comments:

Post a Comment